Tuesday 2 February 2010

Is Television Bad For Kids?

For years the debate about whether television is bad for kids or not has gone on.  I'm currently reading a book called Parenting With Fire by Shmuley Boteach - My American friends will probably know him as the host of Shalom In The Home.

It's a really good book and really get's you thinking about the family and the impact we have on our children.  Shmuley doesn't let his children watch any television through the week and only selected programs at the weekend.
This got me thinking.  Whilst I personally don't follow this idea, I do understand where he is coming from and respect his views on this subject.  My own son loves to watch television and especially films.  I myself love to snuggle up on the sofa with him and a great big blanket to watch a film together.  We always make it a special event.  And yes we do watch SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS and I agree it is mind numbingly stupid but it makes my son laugh and whilst they are ridiculous they are basically all good and friends.  He's also happy to sit with his dad and watch a documentary about how the largest ship in the world is made. 

For me it's a happy medium.  Television is certainly not the only thing he enjoys and it is not playing constantly so that we all have to shout above it.  For me I see no harm in having the television on whilst he's having a little quiet time in the afternoon.  Where I live in Spain, siestas are still common and quiet time after the midday meal is still the norm for adults and children.  Jack doesn't want to have a sleep and I don't really want him to either, but quiet time is good.  I like this custom.

So that's my take on the TV debate.  I've added a poll to the left for you to share your opinion.  Please take a minute to take part and as always please feel free to share your views with us all.  Just hit the comment button below.

Happy Parenting

Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment